A/C

Hello to all Scirocconians:

The weather has been blistering hot the past week(106 with the humidity)
and my air condition doesn't work.  Help!!!!  When I turn it on it just
blows air. Hot air when its hot outside and cool air when its cool.  The
RPM's also jump to 3000 when idling at 900.  Is this normal? or is my
compressor shot?
Assuming my system is OK and all i really need is a recharge and 3 new
pounds of freon(at $40 per pould...ouch!) then i would consider
converting the system to R134.  I found a guy who said he could change
it over for no more than $325(assuming the condenser and compressor are
OK).  All he would have to do is change the reciever/dryer and the
hoses.  What do you guys think?  Has anyone changed their systems over
from R12 to R134?  Is it normal for the RPM's to jump so high when
turning on the system?

Thanks to all!

Brian
88 White Scirocco 16V
91 Red GTI 8V

P.S.  I met 3 guys from the mailing list at Waterfest(sorry, I don't
remember your names except Josh and everyone was really cool!  Can't
wait until next year.