handling comparison

Hey guys,
I just bought my first Scirocco, an 87 16v.  I've had a few other VWs,
but this is the most impressive in terms of power.  One thing,
though...  it doesn't seem to handle nearly as good as my '86 GTi does.
At first I thought maybe the Scirocco weighed more, but an old issue of
VW & Porsche says there is only 60 pounds difference.  I have checked to
make sure someone didn't remove the sway bars or something.  The car
feels like it's wallowing down the road.  It handles well compared to a
Chevy, but the GTi is so much better.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone else
driven both vehicles and could tell me their impressions?
One more thing...  my car has what appears to be a stainless steel
header.  At first I thought this was aftermarket, but someone told me
that the 16v Sciroccos came stock with them.  Is this true?
Thanks for your time!

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi