Re: front wheel bearing

At 11:26 PM 7/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>  The front wheel bearing is shot in my 79 and I need to get a new one
>ASAP.  Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on a new one in
>Western Washington.

I dont. (Rick??) But if it becomes necessity, the Potterman can probably
get you one on the cheap side.

>I could easily order it from Adirondak but I cant
>wait, need to get back on the road by Wednesday.

Mark or the Potterman could next day air one to you but even still, your
looking at getting it wednesday morning at the earliest.

>Has anyone had any luck
>with pressing in/out the front wheel bearing without using that special
>tool?

Im sure it can be done, but there is just too many components that allow
you to do it without a press. Even if you had a press, you would still need
the sizes needed for the bearingas and hub, ect. Its quite complicated r
eally. Your better off taking it to a shop who can do the job for you. They
even might have a bearing waiting for you too!? Never know.

Another option is to remove the hub assy and replace it with a used one.
That would get you back on the road until you could get the other one
replaced.

Option #3 is to remove the hub assy and take it to a machime shop and ask
them to R/R the bearing for you. Often times, they can do this for cheaper
than what a shop would charge you to bring in the whole car.

> Also, someone recommended I get Techtonics front wheel bearings
>packed with spectro grease or something like dat, anyone ever heard or had
>any luck with those?  Thankx in advance...

They work, soposedly the grease helps the bearings last longer. They simply
remove the seal, repack the bearings with their own grease and reinstall
the seals. You could even do this with stock bearings. (Since thats what TT
did) Price on a stock wheel bearing is $22 and for the Spectro treated
bearing $27. (Thats each!) They didnt list the tool in the price sheet but
I know it in the $200 range. I imagine the Spectro bearings are worth i
t. $5 will make it last how much longer? Dunno for sure but its good piece
of mind.
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi