wierd sounds

My car has been making some weird sounds and I am starting to get
worried. I hope someone can help me identify what it could be, for
better or worse!! The first sound happens when I start from a dead
stop. It almost sounds like a grinding sound or like something is
slipping, knowing my luck it the tranny. It only occurs in first gear
and then only now and then. The second sound happens when I run the
tach up in 1st or 2nd gear, this sound is more like that of a loose
catalytic converter. This also only occurs now and then, but when it
does it is quite loud and I can't help but think that my car shouldn't
be making these sounds. Has anyone had any experience with sounds like
this? I would like to have a little info before I take it in and have
the whole thing ripped apart only to find a loose nut or something
like that. Thanks.......... Greg.

P.S. A new radiator for my 88 16v set me back $300 for parts and $100
for labor. It seems no one on the east coast had a radiator for the
car, or maybe I was dealing with idiots, either way 2 weeks and $400
later I finally have my car back.