OK I give up, Help!

Can anybody run me through all of the ways to check if my distributor is
working properly.  My 83 JH hesitated a little the last time I drove it (2
weeks ago).  Now it won't start at all.  Yesterday I put in a new cap &
rotor, fuel filter (fuel pump works), checked the coil, found no vacuum leaks
anywhere. etc etc. I just don't really know the correct way to check the
distributor or the ignition control unit.  I don't really even know that
trick with the screwdriver so any help will be greatly appreciated.  My tools
for checking these are limited to a cheap volt/ohmmeter and a test light.  I
am moving in 2 weeks and would rather drive the car than tow it.  I'll be out
under the hood. Thanks!!!!
DANMAY
8716VScirocco
83GTi-hurtin'