'82 8v exhaust

In all my lurking, I've noted a pretty consistent anti-Autotech sentiment.  I
recently got their catalog, and was all ready to order an aluminized cat-back
system, but thought I'd get some feedback on this before I did.  Is y'all's
beef with the products, the service, the prices, or all of the above?

In any event, what are your recommendations for exhaust mods for a stock '82?
I'd been planning to go cat-back only, but have lately been thinking of either
replacing the manifold with a better stock design, or getting a tubular
header.  I hope to do the install myself; how big a fool am I for
contemplating this?  I've heard plenty of criticism of the manifold that came
with my car, but have never heard exactly why; are they just restrictive, or
is there something else bad?

Thanks!