One Persons' Waterfest

> Hey, guys and gals!  It's me again, and I'd like to get your impressions
> on this year's Waterfest to share with VW's people.  Help me out and
> tell me what you thought of the show, the cars, the autox, the VW truck,
> the parts and accesories, your favorite car...whatever.  I appreciate
> it.
>
> Jim

Well, there were many good and bad things.  One really great thing
didn't even happen at the show.  Just hanging out with all the VW folks
at the hotel until all hours was a blast.  I got to meet quite a few
like minded people and we talked about, what else, our cars.  I don't
hang around a lot of people that appreciate this sort of thing, so I
found it really refreshing.  Getting up at 5:30 the next day to 'get
there early' as was requested by RPI sucked.  Now onto another big
problem.  Actually entering the parking area was like moving a
mountain.  I still don't know what the problem was.  Why did we rush
to get there early and then have to wait 2 hours, while 200+ cars blocked
a mile plus of road.  Very poor planning and execution on the part of
RPI.  Where's my dash plaque?  I was car number 40 to sign up for the
show, what's up with that?  Nice class signage too, yellow sticky notes?
Not very professional.   I would also suggest that someone really
organize how and where people park their cars, and make (and enforce)
the no driving once your parked.  Someone could have gotten hurt the way
a few people were tooling around while people were getting their cars
set up.  As far as the show goes, top notch entries.  That's what we're
really here for anyway, to oggle other peoples vehicles, and hope that
we get some appreciation for the time and effort _we've_ put in on our
car. :-)  It was like being in a little slice of modified VW heaven, well
maybe a big slice.  I've never seen so much Scirocco 'tail' lined up. :-)
Maybe we should be forming the Scirocco Club of America, there were
probably as many Scirocco's as Corrados at the show.  Anyway, I thought
that the show car area and the cars was very good.  I really enjoyed myself.
As for the autocross, I liked watching, and it looked like it was run
well.  I suppose you'll have to get an insiders view on that.  It looked
like a damn good time though!  The crowd cheered 3 wheeling and whenever
a car turned a good time, so the spectators were really into it.  I found
the vender area crowded and too small.  I guess overall, I'd say that RPI
should consider another venue with more space.  Maybe another part of the
same campus could be used?  I thought the selection of standard parts in
the vender area was a little slim, but semi-exotic and exotic parts were
to be had a plenty (even if there were only one of a kind items available,
damn I was _holding_ those Euro side marker lights too.  Should never
have put them down).  Just the kind of thing you'd expect I guess at a
show like this one.  I overheard a conversion between a RPI rep (looked like
the owner) and the Hella guy.  The RPI person was asking him what he thought
of the turn out and how he was doing.  The Hella guy was saying that he
thought the response was _outstanding_ and that he'd be back again and he'd
encourage others to do the same.  He also said that it really was his kind
of crowd.  I guess that would be VW people who are nuts about modding their
cars.  My favorite car(s) would have to be the Sciroccos!  I liked them all
very much. I took a lot of pictures which I expect to be available next week
some time.  If anyone would like any specific question answered, please
let me know and I'll try to answer it.

Laytron!

==Brett