Re: crankshaft seal FUN!!!!!!

> Date:          Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:06:39 -0400
> From:          brett@kodak.com (Brett VanSprewenburg)
> To:            scirocco-l@privatei.com
> Subject:       Re: crankshaft seal FUN!!!!!!

> > Good point on heating the bolt. Another way to break the bolt free is to
> > install a breaker bar, let the handle rest against the ground, disconect
> > the fuel pump relayu, ground ignition, bump the starter, it will break
> > free...
> >
> > Later,
> >
> > Brian
>
> No it won't. :-)    Remember my 'Just Fix It' post?  This is one of
> things I tried to do to get that bolt off.  I may not have even
> written that part in there now that I think about it... Ah right,
> _yours_ might come off, but _I_ had to resort to much more drastic
> measures.  Good luck!
>
> Laytron!
>
> ==Brett
> --
Well, I have to say that I have found a method that doesn't require a
torch OR to take the oil pan off.  Its simple and easy and anyone
can take the sprocket of in about 3 minutes.  Unfortunatly prior to
this discovery I shattered my crankshaft sprocket into 3 pieces.

This requires 2 people and a 1 1/2 foot braker bar.

Step 1 Jack the car up and remove all belts and covers.

Step2 Put the tire back on and set the car back on the ground.

Step 3 Have the second person put the car in fifth and STAND on the
brakes.

Step 4 Put the braker bar on and crank away.  In a couple seconds and
a couple bloody nuckles it will come right off.

I used this method on 2 cars and it worked perfect.

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 1.8 8v

Check out the Watercooled VW gallery...
             http://idt.net/~volkswgn