Re: exhaust

At 01:18 PM 7/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Salutations,
>I just got off the phone with both Techtonics and Autotech about exhaust
>options and frankly im disapointed. Autotech said they did not carry
>anything exhuast wise for the 16V scirocco because it is a discontinued
>model!WTF.

Yah, WTF is right!
Im looking at their brand new catelog. They show a "Sport Tuned Aluminized
System for the 16V exhaust system for $219.95. (P/N 10.297.203K) They dont
list a SS system for any A1 car at all.
The catalog claims that the system "out performs other budget systems". So,
what does this mean? Who knows for sure. (Im sure they know but wont say.)

This is not the first time ive heard about Autotechies talking out of their
asses. When I was at the show, it was fairly evident the people working
there were completely clueless. Even the show judged were told to score the
cars based on how many Autotech parts (and stickers) were on the car!
Pretty lame. Im becomming less and less of a fan of Autotech. I do like
going to their show. I've won something in the raffle every year so far!

>So then it was Autotechs turn, they went on to tell me
>that while they did offer a downpipe and cat it was basiclly OEM with te
>stupid flexcoupler which has given me so many problems and i couldnt
>expect to gain any HP from installing it.

Right, for the most part, unless you have the 8V with the C-clamp exhaust
system, there is no need to replace these items for performance gains. The
16V already had a pretty good flowing exhaust manifold and downpipe. If
you have an exhaust leak there in the flex jiont, believe it or not but it
will hurt performance. Replacing it with a new unit will get back a few
ponies.

> So i inquired about their
>CAT-back systems and they only offer one, both in stainless and aluminum
>and it wouldnt give me much more in the way performance either. Whats
>going on?

Sounds like she doesnt want to sell a system, does she? The stock cat back
system isnt Mandrel bent. (Or is it? I recall somebody saying it is but I
digress.) So even tho it is a SS system, having a mandrel system on the car
will give a few ponies. Maybe not much for your 16V.

>I've waited forever to star doing things with this exhaust and
>all i hear about the best bang for the buck is in exhuast but now it
>seems limited. Please help, im about frustrated enough to buy a Civic.
>shannon
>87 16V
>so stock its sick

Easy Shannon, your talking like a crazy person now!
You may want to contact the Potterman on this topic. He knows all! (except
how to drive his 170hp SM Scirocco faster than my 115hp DSP Scirocco!!
HAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!) If there is a system available for your car
that will improve performance, HE will know where it is and how much he can
get it for you.
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!!! (And once again, Orange County
too!!)