Re. plug change and misc.

Chris Taylor sed:

>Spark plugs--Pull out each plug wire.  Get the appropriate SPARK PLUG socket
>(I forget offhand).  Get 3 extensions and tape them together (learned it the
>hard way.).  Send the socket down, unscrew, and pull out.   Replace.
>
>This is it in a nutshell.  Guys--did I leave anything crucial out?

I don't know the 16V motors but I'd only add that when putting in the new
plug to be sure to start it by hand only to prevent cross threading these
aluminum heads.  Cross flow is good; cross thread is not.  Also, take care
not to drop in any crud into the holes.  Is antiseize a good idea for
plugs?

Regarding fuel filters, my '81 has the smaller cradle and filter from the
'82 car instead of the large canister that is specified in the books and is
found in my '81 S.  Did some '81s come this way or did someone do a swap?
And why did VW go to a smaller filter in the Mk II?  Do they have to be
changed more often?

IMHO, I think the Concept looks novel and terrific.  No one is gonna
mistake it for anything else (even the original bug).  I haven't driven any
of the newer VWs but I thought the ruthlessly decontented rental Neon I
drove felt pretty solid and had a surprisingly nice combination of ride and
handling, even with wafer-thin tires.  The 3-spd auto sucked but the motor
was strong.  Too bad visibility out of the rear was terrible.  Btw, aren't
these things tearing up the competition at autocrosses?

YbOeSnHtIoDnA