Subject: VW vs. Neon/Civic
Author:  VanAm <vanambum@silyn.net> at TGATE
Date:    1/30/97 5:24 PM

> VW needs to wake up, they are counting on the new Beetle to save their
> ass, but looking at VW pricing, and leasing, the friggin Neon or Civic
> will probably still be a better buy for the average consumer.  VW is
> asking way to much for their Mexican built cars pure and simple.

I wasn't under the impression that the new Beetle is
intended to 'save their ass'.  IMO, I think that thing won't sell
very good.  Air-cooled fans are pissed because the engine is in
the front and water-cooled fans on the most part don't care for
a water-cooled 'Beetle'.  What do ya think?  I'll have to disagree
with you on the Neon/Civic thing, too.  I don't know about in the US,
but here the US Golf is priced less than a US Civic and IMO, the Golf
is A LOT more car.  The Civic is like riding in a noisy Pepsi can.
The Golf is quicker than the Civic, too, especially on the
Autobahn (the 2.0 pulls very nicely to it's 118mph speed limiter)
As for the Neon with it's plastic gas door and Shasta can ride...I
don't think I need to go any further.

Unfortunately, it costs WAY too much money for German's to build
cars because the government really screws them over bad.  I'm sure
we all remember the sticker on the 93(?) Corrado VR6 when new-
$25,000, if I recall.  We can now get a VR6 Golf for $19000. Bottom
line...VW's are made in Mexico to keep the price of a good car
within reason.  Sure, it sucks, but I'd still rather buy the VW.
I don't know about you, but I'd like to feel I'm driving a safe car
and not a cheaply built, tinny Neon or Civic.

-Mike
89 Scirocco Scala