Re: hood stuck, now what?

> The hood on my 88 16V won't open, no matter how quickly, slowly, forcefully,
> gently, or often I pull the release!  Actually, it happened 2 weeks ago
> at a gas station, but then it worked again a day or two later.  And just
> my luck, last night I'm drivin home and the coolant starts boiling over,
> so I coax it home, and I'm gonna put some water in it so I can drive to
> the shop today, but the hood won't open.  Given that this has happened
> before and fixed itself, it may work again by the end of the weekend,
> but can anyone think of a more proactive remedy?  BTW, the cable is still
> attatched to the handle, and I hear a popping sound under the hood
> when I pull it.  Seems to me like the lock has seized up somehow.
>
> -Dan_S

There is little plasitic adjustable ends on the hood release cable, that
sometimes stretch or come loose and won't allow the hood to release on
both sides or even one side, mine has done this a couple of times, if this
happens even on one side it won't release the other side. Any way what I
do is take out the divers side headlight (Highbeam I believe) then reach
through adn you can pop ythat side up by pulling the release lever then
pull the cable from ther to release the other side.  Hope this helps.

Shikaroka
tjarrett@olie.wvitcoe.wvnet.edu

82 Scirocco 16v (highly modified)
87 GTI G60