hood stuck, now what?

The hood on my 88 16V won't open, no matter how quickly, slowly, forcefully,
gently, or often I pull the release!  Actually, it happened 2 weeks ago
at a gas station, but then it worked again a day or two later.  And just
my luck, last night I'm drivin home and the coolant starts boiling over,
so I coax it home, and I'm gonna put some water in it so I can drive to
the shop today, but the hood won't open.  Given that this has happened
before and fixed itself, it may work again by the end of the weekend,
but can anyone think of a more proactive remedy?  BTW, the cable is still
attatched to the handle, and I hear a popping sound under the hood
when I pull it.  Seems to me like the lock has seized up somehow.

-Dan_S