Definite not getting enough power...

Well after all my complaints about sciroccos not having anything in 1st gear
I feel totally stupid and appologize to everyone.  My car is definitly
lagging big time.  I drove my friends (who might be joining the list)
scirocco 16v with identicle specs to mine.  It blew me out of the water.  My
car is definitly lagging, it has to be something with the

Distributer
Ignition coil (?)
Fuel Injectors (?)
Timing
Cams?

I changed the spark plugs and inspected the wires and they're all good.  Now
Im wondering where to go next.  Im getting a dist. cap and rotor to do as
routine maintance.  But after that I'm a bit lost.  How feasible does a
timing problem sound?  I noticed that when i removed the oil cap, the "fat"
part of one of the cam lobes is chipped (#1 cylinder, the one way to the
left, on the cam closest to the front of the car - thats intake right?)
Other then that Im really confused and if anyone could suggest anything else
that they think might be the problem, id really appreciate it!
Thanks