FW: Ballast Resistors

 ----------
From: GREAVES, AMNA
To: 'kwenzel'
Subject: Ballast Resistors
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 1997 9:15AM

Ah, well first I'll tell you what it is, then where, and finally what it
does and what it's like when it goes bad.  Since you have an 81 there's a
chance you have one... but to be sure I'd post to the guys in the group,
maybe we can get a consensus (I had one in my 80, and therein lies the
tale...).

A ballast resistor is used to drop the voltage to the coil once the car has
started, it drops from the standard 12v to about 10v.  Since it goes between
the ignition and the coil, it can either be a straight wire with a resistor
in it (that's how I replaced mine) or it can actually be a "resistance" wire
(where the amount of resistance is a function of the length of the wire).
 As I mentioned, when you start, you get the full voltage, but when the
ignition switch goes to run (and you're going throught the ballast resistor)
you drop the voltage, and if the resistor is bad - the car either runs
poorly or craps out.  I worked on this problem for over two year (trashing
the hell out of several batteries), until someone told me about this.  The
test was to run a wire directly to the coil, start the car and see if it
kept running.

Another problem that plagued me for the longest time was a bad ground.  My
problem was at the fusebox, and yes, I had the same fuel pump relay problem,
and a few other items.  That could also be your problem.  I would do a
continuity test at your fusebox and see if you have a good ground, as well.

Finally, if you have breaker-points (not electronic ignition) take a look at
them. If they're blasted or pitted, then you do have an electrical problem
(probably), and I'd replace them and the condensor too...

Good luck.
a.