Re: scirocco help

At 02:24 PM 1/4/97 +0800, you wrote:
>On  3 Jan 97 at 2:57, Alan C Baltazar wrote:

>>            3) everytime I start the car cold, I hear a knocking
>>            sound
>> from the back of my car (seems to be coming from the gas tank) for
>> about 5 - 10 seconds.

>This is tough to say.  IMHO, the noise may likely be from the exhaust
>rattling against the chassis.  The pipe over the axle is a very tight
>fit and if the pipe has moved (could be caused by many things) it may
>be hitting when you start it.  The cause could be that the motor
>mounts are worn and allow the engine to move which in turn moves the
>exhaust.  Best to crawl under and have a look or take it to a garage
>and have them look for you.

My Scirocco makes a noise on startup too. It originates from somewhere to
the left and *possibly* the rear of the driver's seat, but it is NOT the
exhaust rattling. It sounds similar to the sound an electric antenna makes
when you have it all the way up or down, but you continue to press the
button. You know -- the sound of the electrical motor continuing. It is a
tapping sort of sound that is very mechanical. It taps about 10 times, each
time getting softer. Well that's what MINE sounds like. I don't know what it is.