Transmission Problems!

     "I think your 1st gear sync's shot buddy!".  That's what the mechanic told
me.  I took it into the shop as I couldn't shift into first gear AT ALL.

     First was always a little tough, but after I got my engine mount replaced I
can't shift into first at all.  The guys that did the mount say that it's harder
to get it into first now that the engine is in place.  Apparently the engine was
slightly off before and thus shifting into 1st was possible even tho my sync was
gone.

     Does the above make sense?.. Anyways to fix the sync & clutch he says it
will be around $1500 + parts.

     Btw, I cannot shift into 1st gear AT ALL, sucks big time.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Kevin.
'86 Scirocco