Re: scirocco-l-digest V1 #86

>From: "Richard Reyes" <llestat@ibm.net>
>Date: Sun, 22 Dec 96 19:19:01
>Subject: Oil leaks
>
>Hi, I owne a 86 Scirroco which I love but recently Ive been
>dealing with some ugly oil leaks that maybe some of you have
>seen before and can lend a hand on.  First I thought my oil pan
>was leaking but after Two gasket changes and a careful
>engine cleaning and observation I find that the oil leak seems to
>be coming from the filter hookup.  I'm not sure whether its the oil
>pressure sensor

That would be my guess.  I have had these leak on two different VWs.  It is
not always easy to see.  In the second case the oil was leaking down the
backside of the sensor (that is between the sensor and the block), so it was
very hard to see where it was coming from.  Apparently it is due to the
blade to the connector being metal and it being embedded in plastic.
Repeated heating and cooling and expanding/contracting at different rates
for different materials causes cracks.

>or the gasket which mates to the block or the
>oil cooler which the leak is comming from.  All I know it is
>definitly from that area.  By the way why do these cars have two
>oil pressure sensors, one above the filter and one on the head ?

Yes.  They measure two different pressure levels.

Chris