Re: scirocco help

>On  3 Jan 97 at 2:57, Alan C Baltazar wrote:
>
>>    Sorry to bother you. I got your email address from the
>> scirocco webpage. I have three problems with my 85' Scirocco
>> - 8 valve. 1) right window won't go down with both the switches from
>> the passenger and driver sides. fuse is ok.
>

>>            2) backup lights are on all the time.
>
>Most likely the switch on the tranny.  Assuming you've checked the
>fuse and bulbs.  Of course, the always present bad connections could
>also be present.  Once again, check for power at the bulbs and
>switch.  Keep in mind that our cars have a history of problems at the
>fuse box with corroded terminals in the rear of the fuse panel.  This
>is usually due to leaky windshield gaskets that allow water to run
>down to the fuse box.

I had the same problem on my 81 Rocco and it was the switch on the tranny.

>>            3) everytime I start the car cold, I hear a knocking
>>            sound
>> from the back of my car (seems to be coming from the gas tank) for
>> about 5 - 10 seconds.
>
>This is tough to say.  IMHO, the noise may likely be from the exhaust
>rattling against the chassis.  The pipe over the axle is a very tight
>fit and if the pipe has moved (could be caused by many things) it may
>be hitting when you start it.  The cause could be that the motor
>mounts are worn and allow the engine to move which in turn moves the
>exhaust.  Best to crawl under and have a look or take it to a garage
>and have them look for you.

Once again, the exhaust seemed to be the problem on my car.  It was rattling
and hitting the chassis.  Actually it would rattle whenever the car was
idling.  I just ripped off the lose piece of metal.

Later,

Sal

-It's only wrong if you get caught.