Re: scirocco help

On  3 Jan 97 at 2:57, Alan C Baltazar wrote:

>    Sorry to bother you. I got your email address from the
> scirocco webpage. I have three problems with my 85' Scirocco
> - 8 valve. 1) right window won't go down with both the switches from
> the passenger and driver sides. fuse is ok.

No bother at all.  I have to tell you that I only have my 'Rocco 6
months and am not the best source for help.  The window problem
sounds like you need to get in the door and see if any power is
getting to the motor.  If there is power, you probably need a motor.
If not, you need to check the wiring for connection problems or
broken wires.  If you don't have a Bentley manual, I strongly suggest
you get one.  They're invaluable for troubleshooting.

>            2) backup lights are on all the time.

Most likely the switch on the tranny.  Assuming you've checked the
fuse and bulbs.  Of course, the always present bad connections could
also be present.  Once again, check for power at the bulbs and
switch.  Keep in mind that our cars have a history of problems at the
fuse box with corroded terminals in the rear of the fuse panel.  This
is usually due to leaky windshield gaskets that allow water to run
down to the fuse box.

>            3) everytime I start the car cold, I hear a knocking
>            sound
> from the back of my car (seems to be coming from the gas tank) for
> about 5 - 10 seconds.

This is tough to say.  IMHO, the noise may likely be from the exhaust
rattling against the chassis.  The pipe over the axle is a very tight
fit and if the pipe has moved (could be caused by many things) it may
be hitting when you start it.  The cause could be that the motor
mounts are worn and allow the engine to move which in turn moves the
exhaust.  Best to crawl under and have a look or take it to a garage
and have them look for you.

>             thanks, appreciate your response,
>                  alan

I'm going to forward this to the Scirocco mailing list to see if
anyone there can give any better advise.  I'd advise you to join the
list yourself.  A lot of good people there with a lot more experience
than me.  To join:

To subscribe, send email to
scirocco-l-request@privateI.com
with your request (subscribe) in the BODY of the message.
(note that those are lower case L's, not I's in the address.)

Another good source for help would be the VW usenet (newsgroup)
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Good luck and see you on the list!

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg