Re: Big Lites SUCK

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997 ChTaylo4@aol.com wrote:

> I originally bought those Hella 550 Driving lites w/ 100w bulbs and relays
> and junk, but the Tim Allen in me told me to get the 90w/130w bulbs for my
> Euro H4's as well.  It was not necessary at all, but now I've got myself in a
> jam.  If anyone can help:
>
> I have 3 relays:  1 for lows, 1 for hi's (both on the H4), and one for the
> driving lites.  I have 10ga wire going to each relay, and 2 12ga wires coming
> off to the lites.

     12 gauge wire is good enough for the almost 8 amps you are drawing
    with the 90 watt bulbs so that shouldnt be the prob.  I think that
    12 gauge is good for like 20 - 30 amps or something.  If you are
    still using the 16 gauge wire for grounding the lights, that may
    be your problem there.  I know when i helped Gene Fulmer upgrade his
    lighting that we used 14 gauge for the relay power, output of the
    relay and for the ground on the lights and we (he) had no problems.

> With just parking lites, my headlights come on very dim.  ???  I also have
> the city lites wired in on the parking lites, so they come on too.

     hmm, shouldnt effect it unless you dont have enough output at the
    alternator itself.  The 2 light sets are on different circuits.

> My lows are .....okay.....the driver's side one is perfect and @20% brighter
> than the left one.
>
> My highs are @ the same story.
>
> My driving lites:  drivers side doesnt work.  The one that does has 3 voltage
> levels for some ridiculous reason.  1:  Switch off.  Dim.  2:  Lows on,
> switch on, average brightness.  3:  Highs on:  Very bright.  Full100w effect.

    You should also make sure that the relays if they arent fused
   internally, that they either   1)  havent blown a fuse which prolly
   isnt the case since you are using 1 for 2 lights or  2)  perhaps
   there is too much current for the relay to handle.  they ones we
   used were good for like 15 to 20 so we decided to use a separate one
   for each headlight just in case he went to a 100/145 bulb.

> I hate this SH*T.

    Ahhhh, i kinda like it  =)

> I should never have started this.  This is 20x harder than that measley 5th
> gear swap.

     hmmm, maybe you can hellp me with that one  ;)

> Help.
>
> CT

       Andre'   79 Neon Green go-cart handling farfrommugen!