Re: JH engine

At 10:38 PM 2/27/97 +0100, you wrote:
>MARK DAVISON wrote:
>
>> JH is 8.5:1 compression, most other 1.8 liters are 10:1 with the
>> knock sensor ignition.
>
>Shawn wrote:
>
>>The difference is the JH is a 8.5-1 and the RD is 10-1 compression
>>respectively.
>
>Hmmm...interesting.  Is it the knock sensor alone that puts the
>compression to 10:1?  Just curious.  I learn so much from you
>dudages!  Now I just need to get up the nerve again to work on
>the car.  :-)  I pissed myself off about 7 years ago.  Never touched
>a car mechanically since.  But that's another story...

The main difference is the pistons. The 10-1 have a smaller dome area
than do the 8.5-1 pistons. (If you ever look at a 10-1 piston, it
almost looks flat compared to the 8.5-1 piston.
The knock sensor is needed to adjust the timming in the event of
detonation in the motor for the 10-1 motors.
The only way to get better at mechanicing is to keep doing it. Just
dont get over your head with a project, research it and find somebody
who has done it and see how much brain matter you can pick before you
actually try it yourself. Its the best way to learn. Maybe you could
even get some help when you do the project.

Shawn