Re: GOT MY 'ROCCO!

Donovan Porter sez:

>Well, after MANY MANY months of wanting a Scirocco, I picked up an 81 last
>night.  I paid $1800 for it, and got the following: STRAIGHT BODY!  Original
>Mars Red paint (beautiful shape), Eibach Pro springs, Tokico Illumina
>Shocks/struts, GTi Teardrop rims w/new Yokohama 185/60-14's, K&N drop-in air
>filter, Neuspeed throttlebody, custom exhaust (too loud, glasspack gotta
>go!), '86 Jetta 1.8l 8v engine (miles?), '86 Jetta sport buckets (comfy,
>hight adjustable!), Sub box (12") already fiberglassed and sealed into spare
>tire well, armor door guards.

Congratulations, it's nice to hear of another Mk.1 owner, but of course I'm
a little biased :P

Is your car an "S" model?  I thought the Mars Red only came on the S's.

Are the '86 Jetta sport buckets as good or better than the seats in the S
models?  I'm still debating whether it's better and cheaper to have my S
seats reupholstered or to replace them with something else.

>Here's my questions/requests/comments:
>
>- Anybody have an '81 Scirocco owners manual?

If you mean repair manuals, then you have your choice of Bentley, Haynes,
and Chiltons, in order of desirability.  "How to keep your watercooled VW
alive" or something like that is supposed to be very good.
If you want the owners manual that originally came with the car, you might
have to go to the dealer for that one.  I went there to get one but that
was about 9 years ago.  It was expensive so a used one would be good or
there may be other suppliers.  I could photocopy mine if you get desperate
although these cars are pretty self-explanatory.

>- I need to find a spare tire and tools.

Junkyard is probably most sensible place to get these although you don't
have a place to put them, right?

>- I need to install power windows and door locks

Has anyone done this?

>If any of you have any comments/suggetions/help, I would be eternally
>greatfull.  Thanks in advance!

Especially with an upgraded sound system, you should upgrade your
alternator to a 90A unit.  The stock 55 or 65A one just doesn't cut it.  I
haven't found the proper one yet but it's high on my "to do" list.

Also, I'd highly recommend putting in relays into your lighting system.
The difference that it made was D-R-A-M-A-T-I-C.