Re: Timing, etc.

>1) Timing-my wonderful car has acquired a rough idle and runs sketchy at
>speed (including a nice raspy-some may call it backfiring-sound when
>downshifting).  This all began (well actually it never purred) after I
>replaced the rotor and dist. cap and forgot to mark the rotor position.
>I am willing to purchase a timing light but have no experience or clue
>as to actually how to do it.  I have looked over the bentley
>instructions, but reading only helps so much.  Is this something I can
>do by myself, or should I leave it up to the shop (and I hate leaving it
>up to the shop). I wish I had a single friend who was mechanically
>inclined.

Timing the car is really easy - connect the power leads, attach lead to #1
plugwire, remove plastic thingy from transmission (unscrew the green part -
if you only pop open the cover, you can't see enough), start engine,
(should be warm), point light at hole, look at the flywheel - it becomes
VERY obvious from there.  You turn the distributor a little in either
direction (forget which is which) to advance/retard timing.  I use 12d btdc
- if you set the car at 0d, or right on tdc, you'll see the notch on the
flywheel as the light pulsates.  My flywheel has a line painted on it at
roughly 12d, so I adjust the distributor so the pointer on the transmission
housing is aligned with the line painted on the flywheel - go out and look
at the car, it all makes sense once you do it.  Tighten the distributor
down when done, then recheck timing.  All in all, very easy.  Also, when
loosening the distributor, only loosen it enough so you can turn it - if
too loose, it'll move around on its own.  It needs to be snug for
adjustment.   See if you can get someone to help you the first time out,
then go from there!  It is not hard.

>2)  EGR problem

No idea on the EGR thing - sorry!

Mannix