Dashboards

>From Andy:
Dashboards

> a few cracks so I'm
>going to fill them with some filler material (not sure what kind of
>material yet), then after sanding and smoothing out the imperfections
>I'm going to paint it with that speckle paint (the marble sandy looking
>one).  I haven't restored a dashboard before so does anyone have any
>hints, ideas or points before I go at it?  I'm not sure about the paint
>though, does it last in such a heat prone areas like the dashboard.  Are
>there any places that actually sell new dashboards?  Thanks for your
>input.

The paint you describe is Zolitone and you will need to clear coat it. If
possible don't use the can stuff it is junk!
Dashboards can be found in junk yards and yous will be in one if you paint
it with the "flexcoat" can stuff. The stuff will chip off but you can just
patch it. The stuff is so splatterd you can't do a bad match. I would get a
new dash first and then destroy yours. Sand the s**t out of it and remove
all wax before you pant. Heat is not a problem.

Doug 16v silver Scirocco.