Dashboards

Has anyone ever restored a dashboard?   I'm plannig on restoring mine
and this is how I plan to go about it.  There are a few cracks so I'm
going to fill them with some filler material (not sure what kind of
material yet), then after sanding and smoothing out the imperfections
I'm going to paint it with that speckle paint (the marble sandy looking
one).  I haven't restored a dashboard before so does anyone have any
hints, ideas or points before I go at it?  I'm not sure about the paint
though, does it last in such a heat prone areas like the dashboard.  Are
there any places that actually sell new dashboards?  Thanks for your
input.
	Andy

'81 Scirocco