Upper strut bearing is killing me!

Hey all:

        I need to replace my upper strut bearing on my '81 but having a
hard time getting the top nut off.
        I have the type with a nut on a threaded bolt which ends in a round
post with two sides squared off so that an open ended wrench (about 8mm)
would fit but not a socket.  I don't have the type which can be removed
with an allen wrench.  I bought an offset, Snap-On socket with one side
partially open for holding the nut steady but the socket isn't deep enough
and there isn't enough room left on the top or sides to get a wrench on the
threaded bolt.  I tried doing this a long time ago on my '81 S and ran into
the same problem and ended up rounding the sides.
        So what have you guys out there done?  I thought about cutting a
groove so I could use a screwdriver but I don't think I can get enough
torque on it.  Or can I drill a hole and pound an allen wrench into it?
Also, I don't want to ruin it so that a shop won't be able to work on it in
case I have to go that route.  Is there a company that makes an offset
wrench which is deep enough to get into the depression in the strut
bearing?  Thanks for any help, benton-------

YbOeSnHtIoDnA