Re: Synthetic and susceptible seals

>Hey guys,
>
>I'm gonna be putting synthetic in my G60 before I put it in.  It has 80k
>miles, so that sorta screams for the "overhaul," does it not?
>
>I read bits and pieces of the week-long war, and it looks like i shoulda
>read it more thoroughly, because my question is this:
>
>Could someone itemize for me the seals/gaskets that would have to be
>replaced on a typical high-mileage 1.8L 8v engine before putting synthetic
>in it?

All of them, there really are not too many.  Well, headgasket might be
optional - synthetic won't make that leak (but if it does, you'll wish you
changed it).  Crank, pan, etc - there are engine gasket kits available for
most (including VW, I am sure) engines - you buy a box of gaskets, and it
should have all of the engine gaskets in it.  If you're planning on taking
it apart, you'll more than likely have to replace the gaskets anyway,
synthetic or not.  Valve cover gaskets are fairly tolerant of reuse, and
you might get away with not replacing others, but why?  You've got the
engine out, change everything while it is easy.  .02.

Mannix