Re: Need advice...

At 09:14 AM 2/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Some may not agree, but It may be a hall sender problem.  Mine did
>that two weeks ago, would idle great at startup (good sign of gas
>reaching the engine);  then fluctuate (RPM ranging from 0 to 3000 in
>seconds going up&down as it pleases, like its hunted!!
>
>Check the hall sender harness & inside plug.  Make sure everything is
>snug fit inside.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Frank
>
>BTW I am pretty novice to this stuff, but I'm just sharing what
>worked for me.  do not take apart your distributor, just check the
>plug for now.
>

>> Seems like I'm experiencing something similar to the post regarding the fuel
>> pump problem.  Although I'm not experiencing any "bucking," mine would just
>> die out at any given speed at any given time.  I would here like a buzzing
>> or humming sound coming from behind the passenger side when I restart.
>> Sometimes it would start right away and appears that the problem is gone.
>> At other times, I would have to wait several minutes before I can restart.
>> I'm guessing it's the fuel pump since I can always here that buzzing sound
>> everytime this happens.  Also, everytime I start the car my idle would
>> fluctuate like crazy.  This would last for a couple of minutes until it
>> finally rests just below 1K.  Any ideas?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanx.
>>
>> RhoMel
>> 86 16V
>>
>> --
>>

>Thank you all for the advice on my post.  Well, I finally replaced the
transfer pump which cost me $60 (way cheaper than the main fuel pump!).  I
can tell you that it runs better now.  Plus, the rough idling also seemed to
disappear.  Maybe it's too soon to tell (replaced it yesterday) but hope
that was the fix.  Unfortunately, I'm in need of other repairs...  I'm not
mechanically inclined but, oil is leaking at the lowest pulley on the
engine.  I have to add a quart of oil every 400 or so miles.  I've heard
it's the oil seal.  Any advice and tips on how to replace it would really
help.  The car has 165K miles on it.  While at it, I probably need to
replace some or all of the engine mounts.  How feasible is it?  And I've
been told that my rack and pinion also has a leak.  My car is just leaking
everywhere!  Thanx in advance...

RhoMel
86 16V

BTW, can someone tell me why there is oil inside the air flow meter?  The
entire plate is almost coated w/ oil (dirty oil).  Thanx again...