Re: r.a.m.v.w.

>At 03:30 PM 2/20/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>I have a question about the actaul newgroups.  How do I find a server
>>(actually looking for a free one).  After that, how do I become a member
>>of the group.  As you can tell, I don't know very much about newsgroups.
>>I am very interested in reaching r.a.m.v.w.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John
>>80 Scirocco S
>

>Doh! Sorry John. I thought you were keen to the Newsgroup thing..... my bad.
>Um, do you have or can you get/install a progran called "Free Agent"? Or, does
>your server have any kind of Newsgroup surfing capabilities?
>Well, they're all free. Its just a matter of finding the cool one and
>subscribing to it. (Recs.auto.makers.vw.watercooled) all that does is sends
>you a list of subject topics. If you want to read one, you click on it and it
>downloads the whole message. In a way, its like a huge mailing list that have
>way more than Scirocco owners. Its a VW thingie.

  You should find out the address of your news server from your ISP. It is
also called an NNTP server.  If your ISP doesn't have one, check out other
ISPs. Its a standard thing though, and it shouldn't cost extra to access
the server. If it does, check out other ISPs. There are free news servers
around, but they're usually very slow, I tried it and gave up on it.

 As far as news reading software, like Shawn said Free Agent is one of the
better ones, or you can use Netscape.