Re: 16V or not 16V? (Was: Antenna mod)

One easy way to check if the car was originally a 16v is to check the white
sticker underneath the rear carpet (by the spare).  It contains the paint
code, vin, tranny code?, and engine code, in addition to a few other things I
think.  The 16v engine code in 87-89 (maybe 86) was PL.  The 86 up 10:1
compression 8v was RD.  I have a friend that owns a 86 16v scirocco as well.
 According to my local VW dealer parts guy, (he is awesome, not your usual vw
parts bozo) 86 cars did not ever have 16v's, but my friends date of
manufacture was 3/86 and the sticker reads PL for engine code.  It has always
made me wonder, the car has no signs of a previous performance tuner (quite
the opposite).  His car however does have the Fuba.  So ends my story, does
anyone else know for sure what the date of original 16v sciroccos hitting the
market?  Are these cars prototypes?  I am now fully intrigued.  Tim what was
your cars date of manufacture (on the door jam)?

Kyle