Re: Synthetic(revisited)

At 03:52 AM 2/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Second, Please correct me if any of you know different, but, I was told by a
>Synthetic oil salesman (and a good friend of my father's) NOT to put synth
>oil in any car with over 10k miles unless I was going to replace all oil
>seals/gaskets.  He said the synth was "slicker" than conventional oil and
>would slide right out of any and most likely all worn or old gaskets/seals.
> Just recently I replaced my tranny and switched to Spectro synthetic but I
>replaced the seals on it.  NO leaks after 6k miles.  SO, my advice is that
>you should not follow  Shad's lead in order to "clean" your block.  I think
>his car will need a lot more work soon...ie mainseal splashing all over
>clutch etc... Happy driving.

Its true that using synthetic oil isnt advised on engines with high miles.
Then again, I put it in my car at 162,000 which now has 169,000 miles and
other than the typical valve cover gasket seepage and oil pan gasket seepage,
most of it stays in the crankcase. Those are 2 problem children to begin with
so if anything, the synthetic oil takes slight advantage of those two gaskets.
Other seals and gaskets shouldnt be effected unless theyre already plagued
with old age and seeping.
Anybody want to know what synthetic oil does to a perfectly good clutch?

Shawn