Re: A Great Weekend

At 04:00 PM 2/17/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>First, thanks to all who have helped with my "weird phenoms" posting
>from about a month ago.  As of this weekend, I no longer have any weird
>power surges or have to go without a radio for any period of time unless
>I wish to.  It was the voltage regulator that needed to be replacing.
>Actually replacing the V/R was easy, noone mentioned what a pain getting
>the alternator out was (it may have been easier if I had help).  I also
>got rid of a few noises that had been plaguing me since I purchased this
>car, namely the front brakes clacking all over the place.  I took the
>brake calipers off and noticed that there were no bushing for the guide
>pins.  Hmmm, could that have been it???  Well I spent about five bucks
>for new bushings and also some brake pad retaining pins.  Now my car is
>about 90% quieter than it was, oh what a joy (except for now I've
>noticed a few other noises).

Its always nice to rid oneself of those annoying little things. I still get that
satisfaction everytime I fix an annoying problem on my car.
Ya, unless you know how it comes out, that alternator can be a bit of a problem.
Getting it out should be easy. Putting it back in and getting that bolt to start
threading is the pain! Especially if you have A/C (the older square unit that
sits on top) I had to put in a friends alternator after he couldnt get it in. His
car was so greasy and grimy. I dont understand why some people let their cars get
that way. Its so much easier to work on when its clean. Your still gonna get
dirty but your not gonna be leaving layers of grease on your arm after you remove
it from the engine compartment. Maybe its just a me thing.....

>Anyway, my car is actually becoming fun to drive, not just one problem
>after another (I guess this happens after you replace everything there
>is to replace).  Yet...I have so far to go, it would take too long to
>type out my wish list.  Thanks for all the help to date.  With
>everyone's help, I feel I've really accomplished something, and I got a
>kickass car to boot (well at least I think so - I still get ragged on
>for the appearance which floats around the realm of...crap).

Projects are fun and when your almost done (trust me, you will never be finished
with your car) then you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your 16 yr old car is
newer than most new cars! Mechanically, everything in the engine compartment has
been replaced, except for the A/C...... I have a new old car!
Dont let anybody discourage your project. They obviouisly have never driven such
a fun car and are probably brainwashed into thinking that Hondas are the car to
have. That or their simply jealous....

FWIW, the friends that I have asking me to fix their cars are Honda owners.
(sorry, I only work on real cars.)

Shawn