Re: Re; Upper and lower stress bars

At 04:19 PM 2/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>My experience with these items is as follows:
>
>Both my Sciroccos have them On my beater car, Second Wind, I was forced
>into a curb at a mall. The A-arm was bent back about two inches. But no
>frame damage! This was solely due to an Autotech lower stress bar. The
>alignment shop has seem similar damage, that req.'s frame straightening.
> Arctic Wind has the full Autotech lower subframe. A lot beefier, but for
>normal street use, perhaps overkill.

I heard the exact same story from a Rabbit owner with the same autotech bars up
front. He smacked a curb doing 45mph or so and other than the shreaded tire,
suspension pieces and wheel being bent, his chassis was unaffected.

>I Use the Autotech upper bar for two reasons: the center span can be easily
>removed. This makes engine maint a lot easier. Second, the aluminum
>polishes so easily when showing your car. The other upper bars are of a
>fixed length. My friend who has autox'd and road raced, likes the Autotech
>because of the adjustability. He can really tighten the chassis if needed.

So he was preloading the bottom or the top of the chassis? Interesting but I
wonder how much it will also change the allignment? This is some interesting
suspension ideas! Mr. Mannix, you given this any thought?

Hey Joe, How come you never did put the Pic of my Scirocco on your web page?? IS
it a Canadian thing or???
(I sent you a pic, then you asked for my mod sheet. Then you asked for another
pic. Then nothing. Well?? Its been well over a year since I sent you that stuff.
Just curious.)

Shawn