Re: Painting steering wheel etc. <LONG>

At 06:18 AM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote:

>        I guess I just want to know if I have to sand and primer before
>spray painting the damn thing (after masking off the other parts of
>course).

That depends on if the damn thing needs to be sanded. Your the best judge for
that, Benton. Look at it, is there chipped paint? Is there some rust? Well? If so,
then you might want to sand on it a little. If not, then just paint the damn thing
as it is. (Thats an odd name to have for a steering wheel you know!)

>Since most of you probably have Mk.2's, the Mk.1 steering wheel
>has three metal spokes with a rectangular cutout in each and has a center
>horn button--very classic and  sensible.  Maybe some of you Mk.2 owners
>would like to upgrade to a Mk.1 wheel?  Sorry, mine's not for sale :P

Uh, no. I've got a complete spare plastic leather look-a-like wheel and a leather
wheel. I dont need any more steering wheels. (aka, damn thing)  :)

>        Thanks also for the input on shocks and springs.  I guess if I get
>some disposable income, I'd love to upgrade the suspension.  How much
>stiffer is a typical (if there is such a thing) sport or sofsport spring
>than stock, and how much more punishing would the race springs be?

I bought the Neuspeed sport lowering springs mainly for looks. They lowered the
car about 1/2" but nothing drastic. The ride was good, the springs are stiffer
than stock and the stock KYB's dont match well with them. I was finally talked (I
was badgered!) into installing a set of Neuspeed Race Springs with the Koni
adjustables. My #1 reason against this setup was cost. (Then he got me a smoking
deal on a new set and there when reason #1) My #2 reason for not getting them was
that I didnt want a kidney brusing ride. I wanted to have a car that was
comfortable to be in for hours since it is my daily driver and I would be going on
a few road trips north up the coast to Seattle and out east towards Oklahoma. I've
ridden in cars with this setup and I felt then it was too harsh. So after I
installed the new springs/shocks and drove it for a while, I was pleasantly
suprised to learn that they were definately firmer, but at the same time,
comfortable. I learned that the cars I had ridden in before were at the full firm
settings on the shocks! I use the full soft settings for daily street driving and
its a total pleasure! I love pulling up to a hammered honda on the freeway and
laughing at him porpoise down the road while I cruise on by.. in comfort and
control.
Installing a set of performance shocks/springs really needs to be done as a set to
be effective. You could install race springs on stock shocks but the ride would be
horrendous! (boingy-boingy-boingy!)
Another advantage I liked from the race springs is they lowered my car 2". The
wheel is about 1-1/2" - 2" from the fender. It looks extremely refined and really
takes the 4X4 look out of the Scirocco.
If thats too much room for you there is also the option of cutting a coil or two
from the bottom of the springs. They're coils that are not used for anything but
to give the car its stance. (Like I just described.) So this is one of the rare
examples of when you can safely cut the springs and not change the spring rates.
Shocks are something that are much talked about and for my needs, the Koni's work
perfectly. The adjustability is as hard as I can stand them to being softer than
the Boge Turbo's that are on my GLi. (In fact, my Scirocco is a little more
comfortable tham my GLi. Especially on the freeway) Some of the articles I have
read about Tokico adjustables are they dont adjust enough and that their softest
setting is still really hard. I know a few people that after only a few weeks,
removed them and put the stock shocks back on. (These are racers too, mind you.)
The only good words I have heard about them is from Honda owners, so go figure.
Then there are the Beilsteins. Still not adjustable but are instead "self
adjusting". Friggin monroe adjustamatic B/S shocks or something. I dont agree with
that theory.

Getting into the cheaper (Or more affordable to most of us) shocks are the Boges
and even the KYB adjustables. I dont think KYB has a clue as to what it takes to
make an adjustable shock but then again, what do I know.

>has some unknown springs but they are very stiff in my opinion.  I liked
>their minimal body roll (even without anti-roll bars) but I got tired of
>the stopping at every bump while everyone else was flying over them or
>honking at me as I held up traffic...

Let them honk. The only thing you should be going real slow over are speed bumps.
(and pot holes for those of you in states that grow them!)

>        And while I still have your attention, is the trick to a compliant
>ride while retaining sharp handling, soft springs with stiff shocks or the
>other way around?

Stiff springs and shocks that can handle them.

Shawn

Sorry for the babble. It was either go out and change the clutch, tranny seals and
CV joint or stay inside and veg.....I'll do it tomorrow.