Dumb-Ass questions

Hiya!

After about a week of real driving (finally!) in my 82, I have assembled a
few questions:

Gas gauge - It's not the most intuitive thing in the world! If I am guessing
correctly, there are five lines on the gauge - Full, 1/2 full, 1/4 full,
warning, empty. The area between the warning and empty is orange. Is this
correct?

Gas tank - how big is the gas tank in an '82? I was shocked when I filled it
up the first time, and it was 2/3 the cost of filling my 91 Jetta (55l tank)
But, I dunno how accurate the needle is on the 'rocco.

Gas mileage - I seem to be getting rather poor mileage with my new engine...
+/- 8km per litre of gas. (Not sure of the MPG, but with the 1.7, the old
owner said he was getting 40mpg out of it...) (My Jetta gets about 11km/l)
I'm certainly not expecting that anymore, but I do drive 90 km (mostly
Highway) to & from work each day, so mileage is a factor... BTW, I am using
high-octane gas. The mods on the engine: 268 cam, K&N, big bore TB, matched
intake manifold, S&S header, no cat.

Interior - Is the roller dial on the bottom of the dash with two pictograms
of speakers a factory fader? It looks neat, but serves no function anymore...

That's about it - put me down for a Carbon-Fiber exhaust system, grille, and
rear seat covers...

Thanks,

Greg
82 Scirocco