Re: Brake ideas for Erik!

At 07:02 PM 2/9/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi everyone
>>
>>Since the brake topic comes up, I want some advice on brake pad. I have a 87
>>16V and need new brake pads soon. Currently I'm using Repco Master pad. Is
>>Ferraro pads better than Repco? What about carbon brake pad? Any info would
>>be appreciated.
>

>Hi Erik!
>

>they never faded. (I use Castrol GTLMA fluid, which is a necessity.) I have

        I like LMA too.

>A fellow racer turned me onto Ferrodo pads (Race/street compound *3466*) which
>is what I currently have on my Scirocco with the exception of having recently
>put on a set of vented rotors. I felt these pads were just as good if not
>better than the Porterfields(even better with the vented rotors). Great hot or
>cold, they also dont fade. They behaved much like the Porterfields but were
not
>nearly as dirty and cost much less. When I replaced the rotors, I measured the
>thickness of the pads and after 7 months of hard driving/racing, I have only
>lost .016 thickness from each pad and since then, I have had the vented rotors
>for 2 months. Id say that the Ferrodo's are quite good for the money I
spent on
>them. (@$80)

        I just changed over to the Ferodo's late in the summer this year and
I like them alot.  I think that the pedal feel is alittle mushier than the
Metal Masters.
        I do think that it is a little funny that Velocity picked those pads
as their winner, I wish I had the resources to conduct the same tests.

>Now the for the Repcos you have, I have no experience with those but I have
>been told by a few people that have "had them all" that they're cheaper and
>basically, you get what you pay for. Nobody complained about them, they just
>went on to say that they just werent as good or lasted as long as the
Ferodo's.

        I used to use MM's exclusively and the lasted about 35K to 50K and
the braking is DEFINATELY better than the stock pads.  My father's 91 Jetta
automatic that eat through the stock pads every 24K has now had the MM's on
it for approximately 47K and they work wonderfully.  My Alfa has the metal
masters all around.  Which is scarey because they DO have to warm up before
they grab and hitting the brake for the first time is like WHOA! until they
warm up. They are useless until they do warm up.  My father's car doesn't do
this but the Alfa does, probably because the rear brakes on the Jetta are
the stock ones that grab when cold and the Alfa has the pads all around.  I
solved this by just preparing myself and knowing that the first couple
brakings will take longer distances.

>Unless your a real performance nut and know the exact moment something changes
>on your car, performance wise, you will feel a deference with Ferodo's. Im
sure
>there will be lots of other testaments to the other pads i've never used.
>Hopefully, somebody will fess up with a few good ideas for you. I'd like to
see
>some other opinions as well.
>

>Shawn

        What kind of shoes do you use in the back??  I would assume that
Ferodo would make the same compound shoes too, but I haven't checked..

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S
					1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
					1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja