Re: AAHH! No brakes!

At 12:00 AM 2/10/97 -0500, you wrote:

>'t ain't no thang!  Just remember to bench bleed it before you put it in.  I
>actually didn't bleed mine myself but I installed it.  You need to just put
>brkae fluid in the top and get something to compress it to push out the
>fluid.  This needs to be done a few times I suppose.  Am I right everyone?
>All that's involved in putting the new one in is taking the four brake lines
>off and unbolting the cylinder from the vacuum booster.  These bolts are a
>pain in the butt to get at but persistence pays off.  Good luck and you can
>always ask us for help!
>--
>\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\
>Josh Clark

        Yah thats a real important part of the install.  If you don't bench
bleed it well it may die prematurely.  They usually give you hoses and
adaptors to run from the outlets of the master cylinder back to the
reservoir.  In my experience they never gave me enough adaptors or hoses so
check the box and ask for more when you are at the parts store.
        You pump the master cylinder on the bench until it is "fully
charged" with fluid and no more air bubbles show.  I have been able to do it
without the hoses, etc. by pumping with a stick and strategically blocking
off outlets with my fingers.  Hold all the outlets closed and this initially
charges it, be careful because once it charges it will squirt out around
your fingers.
        My scirocco's master cylinder gave up this summer while I was at an
autocross.  I was in line for my run and the pedal kept going to the floor.
SO I decided that the best course of action would be to get out of line and
limp home after the day was over.

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S
					1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6