Brake ideas for Erik!

>Hi everyone
>
>Since the brake topic comes up, I want some advice on brake pad. I have a 87
>16V and need new brake pads soon. Currently I'm using Repco Master pad. Is
>Ferraro pads better than Repco? What about carbon brake pad? Any info would
>be appreciated.

Hi Erik!

There was a half-assed written article in EC mag a few months ago that kinda
went into detail on this topic. The way I see it, there are 3 kinds of drivers.

1) the basic soft on equipent and easy going driver that doesnt care what brake
  pad is on the car. Typically can get 8 years out of a set of stock brakes.

2) The stop N go in traffic daily commuter who is somewhat hard on the brakes.
 Still, doesnt care about what kind of brakes are on the car. (This is my
girlfriend in my GLi)

3) The hard as hell on equipment driver who is practicing the late breaking and
  apexing everytime they drive (where possible), kind of driver. Brake pads are
  important to this persons driving needs. (This is me in my Scirocco!)

My experience with brake pads:
I have had stock pads with stock solid rotors. They were ok at the time but
once I started upgrading the car and autoxing, they soon became less than
desirable. These pads are just fine for drivers of the #1 and #2 description.

I then bought a set of Porterfield Carbon fiber brake pads. I thought these
pads were the ones to have in brake pads, since I had not had a real
performance brake pad. I really liked their performance, especially the one
night I was going home from work at 2am and being me, doing 100+ on an empty
freeway. On my right getting on the freeway was my local CHP officer. I stabbed
the brakes as hard as I could physically push and I swear I went from 100-55
mph in less than one second. Whoa! Another plus on the performance side was
they never faded. (I use Castrol GTLMA fluid, which is a necessity.) I have
taken temp readings from my rotors after a hard autox run and got temps from
the rotors at 514 degrees, still (Smoking!) with no fade. They also were great
cold or hot, it didnt matter.
The down side of these brakes were they were $119 a set! The second thing bad
about them was that they were dirty as dirty can be. I was constantly cleaning
my 15" wheels. Even then, after cleaning them I could drive one mile and the
wheels were nasty looking again. Long trips would leave black powdery residue
streaks all along the side of the car. Another bad thing was that they lasted
me only 6 months! When I bought them the guy told me that they would eat
rotors. Fine with me since my solid rotors were $10 each I dont mind replacing
rotors once every 4 months or so. I never got through my first set of rotors! I
gave up on the Porterfields. Overall, I rate them a waste of money for general
street use. If you have a dedicated racer, spend the money.

A fellow racer turned me onto Ferrodo pads (Race/street compound *3466*) which
is what I currently have on my Scirocco with the exception of having recently
put on a set of vented rotors. I felt these pads were just as good if not
better than the Porterfields(even better with the vented rotors). Great hot or
cold, they also dont fade. They behaved much like the Porterfields but were not
nearly as dirty and cost much less. When I replaced the rotors, I measured the
thickness of the pads and after 7 months of hard driving/racing, I have only
lost .016 thickness from each pad and since then, I have had the vented rotors
for 2 months. Id say that the Ferrodo's are quite good for the money I spent on
them. (@$80)

Now the for the Repcos you have, I have no experience with those but I have
been told by a few people that have "had them all" that they're cheaper and
basically, you get what you pay for. Nobody complained about them, they just
went on to say that they just werent as good or lasted as long as the Ferodo's.
Most everybody I know uses the Ferodo's on their cars.

Unless your a real performance nut and know the exact moment something changes
on your car, performance wise, you will feel a deference with Ferodo's. Im sure
there will be lots of other testaments to the other pads i've never used.
Hopefully, somebody will fess up with a few good ideas for you. I'd like to see
some other opinions as well.

Shawn