From: SMTP%byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu@eng.cabot.nf.ca
To: CC938999@eng.cabot.nf.ca

Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:44:54 -0800
To: scirocco-l@privatei.com
From: byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu (Benton Yoshida)
Subject: Re: AAHH!  No brakes!
Sender: owner-scirocco-l@mantis.privatei.com

>My car is really startin' to show it's age lately.  There have
>been many wear and tear items going in the last couple months.
>But anyway, I was braking to take a left turn and the pedal went
>to the floor.  YIKES!  It really sucks they went out today
>because EVERYTHING is closed in Germany on Sundays.  So, in
>the meantime I just thought I'd see if you guys had an idea
>of what it might be.  When they first went out, there was a
>little pressure left if I pumped the hell out of them, but now
>there is nothing; just right to the floor.  What do ya
>think?  Booster?  Master cylinder?  How much do these parts
>usually go for?  I checked for broken brake lines and the
>fluid level, and they are both good.  Any input is appreciated...
>
>-Mike
>89 European Scirocco Scala

My guess is that it's the seals in the master cylinder.  I think if the
booster went, the braking effort would go up but your brakes would still,
um, brake.

My master cylinder went out once although it wasn't as sudden as yours.  As
I was leaving school for home, it got very spongy and by the time I got
home, it required massive amounts of pumping and hand brake application.
Pretty scary.

If it is the master cylinder, I think you have the option of getting a new
one or rebuilding your old one.  I just bought a new one.  I think it cost
between $50-100 but it was a long time ago so don't quote me on the prices.
Anyways, good luck, benton-------