Re: Project Scirocco

> Chris & Dan ... thanks for the sunroof tips.  I'm going to try one of the
> motors from a sunroof at work too.  We have a bunch of extra motors
hanging
> around.  As far as the cover goes, I may be "covered" on that.  My 84 has
> full width cover that the sun visors rest into.  It molded for the visors
and
> covered in matching white vinyl. The 86 doesn't have the cover, I'm going
> try swapping them tomorrow. I think it will completely hide the crank.

Good idea except I think the old vinyl cover will run into the sunroof.
That's what I THINK from memory but I just thought I'd warn you in case.

> Speaking of white vinyl, I have to replace the headliner in the new car.
It's

ALL RIGHT!  I CAN SHARE AN EXPERIENCE!  =)

> starting to dry out and crack in the rear, and that's only going to get
worse
> when I drop it to put in the antenna.  But, one of the former owners was a
> smoker, and the headliner is all yellowed near the windows.  So this
brings
> another dilemma .... black or white replacement headliner ?  I have direct
> access to headliner material at work, so it's just a matter of color.  I
like
> the black/white contrast, but a jet black interior ..... I think I like it
.
> The only downside is that it's probably going to be regular headliner
material
> and not vinyl .... oh well I can live with that. Have to recover the
"cover"
> and the visors too.

The headliner is HARD AS HELL!!  I would get an apholsterer (sp?) to do it.
Anyway taking out and putting the windows back in was a pain is the butt.
Jay and I did it on his car this Summer in black and it looks great (except
for the half assed job =)  It was VERY hard to stretch it without wrinkles
and making it stay correctly while putting the rear windows/windshield bakc
in was a big pain.  It took 8 hours or so to complete successfully.  During
the process I broke his windshield (HeHe!) which put a bit of a damper on
the job.
Here's the funny part:
He got the new windshield the next day (my treat) and it was great.
Next week as he's mowing the lawn he snapped a rock right into the new
shield and the glass installer was $100 richer the next day!  =)

> Good news .... antenna came in today. Bad news ran out of propane for the
> heater and it's too cold to work in the garage tonite.  So I guess I'll
lose a
> nite and do some surfin'

it's too cold to work on the beast... and you're goin' SURFING???!!!  =)

JOOOOOKE everybody.  I ain't that stupid.

--
Josh Clark