Re: Re[2]: VW; drying up? Uh-Huh?.....unh-uhh!

> I see my point is starting to come accross somewhat.  VW pricing is
>      such that once you get a model equipped the way you want, you stand
>      back and look at the price and wonder......."For the a similar price
>      could or should look at BWM/Audi or other sports car"  Although I am
>      loyal to VAG, driving a BMW will usually catch the eye of a pretty
>      lady faster than a GTI, or in lieu of being sexist, will command
>      perhaps a little more recognition from your peers at work, etc.  And
>      as pointed out BMW's are just as fun and more fun to drive than a VW.

SOME are more fun IMHO.  For a $25k car VW makes a good deal and a great car
to drive and I don't think the BMWs come with comparable engines in the $20-
25k range.  Most of their cars are luxury oriented and have decent enough
engines but the new Passat has 190hp engine with a ton of torque and it's a
lot light than most Bimmers.

>      No VW should be over 20k.  In 1987 my Scirocco 16v ideally equipped
>      cost around 16k.  I hate to say it, but 10 years later although there

>      have been some significant technological gain's by VW, and inflation,

>      the cars are not that significantly better now than before. IMHO.
>      Case in point the CIS -vs- digifant discussions, etc.
>
>      Here is what I think the current VW line is WORTH (pricing
>      out-the-door);
>
>         Golf/Jetta Base model   $12,000
>         Golf/Jetta GTI/GLS 4cyl $14,000
>         Golf/Jetta VR6          $18,500

A Hyundai Sonata with a 145hp v6 goes for $16900!  That doesn't even COMPARE
to a Jetta VR6. Have you priced an Accord lately?  A decent one isn't under
$20k.

>         Passat 4cyl             $18,000
>         Passat TDI              $18,500
>         Passat GLX              $19,000
The Passat, even though a VW, is a luxury car and is COMPLETELY worth $25
grand.  That is one nice car.  It comes with some great features too
including BBS wheels which aren't on any other cars except Infinities.

>         Cabrio                  $17,500
I agree the Cabrio is a bit too much simply because of it's underpowered
engine.  VW should have put the new 16v in it.  Convertibles are expensive
no matter what though.

--
Josh Clark