Re: more on the headers

At 5:25 PM +0000 12/31/1997, Ryan Schuermann wrote:
>Yes I am referring to the 4-1 header with removable collector (why
>would u want to remove the collector?) they advertise +15 hp over
>other race type headers.

>From pp. 98 of the Feb98 European Car - "tested 15hp better than street
type headers on 16v."  Nothing about "race type" headers in this ad(others
may be different).

 I assume this to then mean at least +15 over
>the stock downpipe, as headers are suppose to give over stock.

I would not assume that.  I would assume that they tested their header, and
saw 15 horsepower more than other (tri-y) headers offered by the
competition.  A big part of this, I imagine, is that the "Header for Racing
Applications" is not intended to be used with a cat(that's what they told
me, anyhow).  Chances are, the tubes are too long to use a cat in the stock
location.  It would surprise me to see a 15hp gain over a Brospeed header
or what have you, but I do not doubt for a second that the combination of
4-1 and longer primaries would add up to more power.  How much, I don't
know.  More, though. Ever wonder why the TT "euro" downpipe makes more
power than the US one?  The long one which goes almost back to the shifter
linkage?  Hmmmm.

 So
>Manniz posted a good though..what about a flex coupling..how well
>would the header perform without any flexibility?..

Just fine until it cracked.  I am not sure how they expect these headers to
last without a flexible coupling, and if I get one, I'll have a coupling
put in - I cannot use anything but stock motormounts in DSP, so I can't
limit engine movement through engine mounts(I am figuring a torque
suppression device out now, which will help, but IMHO, not enough to keep
the header alive).  Definetly not long on a street car, IE, one that
travels long distances each year.

hrmm time to
>call TT friday and quiz them, unless anyone on this list has one
>already? Since they have it written down on paper i won't mind
>dynoing the car...and asking if they will eat the dyno cost if it
>isn't +15..hehe bet they won't..but then that's false advertisement.

Is it, though?  "tested 15hp better...."  It does not say "you will see
gains of 15hp over any other downpipe/header combo" or "15hp gain," but
implies that it has been capable of 15hp over street type headers.  Maybe
their "street type" headers are 15hp _worse_ than stock - in which case?
Right.  I'm glad you realize they won't pay it.

>It sure is tempting..that would put me at 150hp at the crank..or more
>since I just added a tt cat (20% more flow)

Theoretically.  I'd bet the car would be quick with it, I'd bet it'd help,
but.....

I.Mannix(always the skeptic)