Tires For H-Stock Comp.

Hugh writes:

HC> Don't forget about the Kuhmo tire. Im seeing alot of discussion about
HC> this tire and its all been good including the part where its about as
HC> good as the R1, costs less and lasts longer.. I wouldn't even consider
HC> the AO32. The hoosier is probably the BEST tire available  on the market
HC> for autox use, IMHO. The only major drawback is they wear out much faster
HC> and cost a bit more than the BFG's or Yoko's. If your gonna get Yoko's,
HC> get the A008RSII's if you can find them in your size. I've seen the
HC> AO32's on the course and they are just too hard a compound to be
HC> effective on the autox course. They build up heat too slow to be
HC> effective, IMHO.  >>

Hugh:  Many thanks for your comments on tires to aid me in my quest for
the H-Stock gold.  I had never heard of the Kuhmo tires, so I have
added them to my list of tire options. It is really good of you and
Shawn to remember that I am essentially a beginner.  A lot of the
suggestions I have received bear this in mind.  I realize that I am
just learning a lot of things some of the old timers can repeat in
their sleep, but I can't tell you how much help this board has been in
the last two days!  I already FEEL faster (attitude has to contribute
to some degree, right? Afterall, I live in the land of Lombardi and am
bombarded by the 'Packer WInning Attitude' stuff on a daily basis).
Anyway, thanks for the help.

In my quest, these are the decisions I have made (mind you, I haven't
financed these decisions yet):

1.     I am going to add a Neuspeed 25mm front sway bar.
2.     Koni adjustables on all four corners
3.     K&N Filter
4.     Lose ten pounds of my own weight (not the car's). I'm 155--goin'
be 145 for first event (It is, after all, New Year's Eve--the night of
the most unfulfilled resolutions)

I haven't decided which way to go on tires yet.

I forgot to tell the board that I already put a TT exhaust on the Jetta
and a MOMO Monte Carlo Wheel (350mm). My Jetta did not have an airbag
so I THINK I can compete in H-Stock with my MOMO wheel, though the
rules seem to address air-bag equipped cars and pre-1990 cars. If
anybody can let me know for sure if I can use my MOMO wheel and be in
HS, I would certainly appreciate it.

Anyway, enough rambling on for now.  thanks again.
Happy new year to everyone.

John A-G
94 Jetta GL (future H-Stock wizzard)