Re: Engine swap in early Scirocco

> As far as swapping, I have an '84 GTi (Scirocco) 1.8 with the close
> ratio 5 speed.  I did swap the fifth gear from a different tranny, so
> I'm only pulling 2,700 rpm at 70 mph.  25 mpg, yes.
It seems that 2700rpm at 70mph is a little tall for performance - did
you do this for economy??  What tranny was the donor for this swap?

> I used the ignition from the 84.  You will need to mount the "brain"
> somewhere, I put mine up next to the wiper motor on the drivers side.
> This is where it is mounted in the 84 GTi.  That was the only
> re-wiring I had to do, use the ingition harness from the 84.  I
> didn't have access to a knock-sensor ignition when I built the car,
> and I am happy with what I have.
I'm considering taking the points ignition and converting it to
electronic ignition by replacing the points with with a CompuFire
unit (Compufire is a megnetic trigger ignition).  This would avoid a
lot of re-wiring and still provide electronic ignition.  Comments?

William