Windshield repairs?

	This morning on my way to work a big truck carrying gravel pulled up in
the lane next to mine.  Before I could switch lanes, the inevitable
happened even as I was saying "no, no, no..." - a good sized rock flew
out of the truck and onto my (previously) perfect windshield.  I've now
got a little chip in it, which fortunately doesn't penetrate all the way
through, but is incredibly annoying since it's about eye-level.
	I've never been to or know much about windshield repair shops, but is
this the best option, short of replacing the whole damn thing?  What do
they do, melt the glass around the chipped part and add new glass?
Hopefully my insurance will cover it, otherwise I've got the truck's
license number, hehe.

Thanks

Tim
'88 Scirocco 16v Red