Re: Electrical Poltergeist! Hold the diagnosis!

At 21:06 12/28/97 +0000, you wrote:
>				<SNIP>
>
>> I have a new theory for the past 2 days. I think my oil pressure sensor
>> unit is shorting causing the alternator to send out vast amounts of
>> current, this in turn causes the dazzling bright headlights.
>
>I think you're on the right track.  If your symptoms only occur at a
>specific temperature, as you say in the part of your post that I
>accidentally deleted (sorry), then I'd say the problem is indeed in a
>temperature gauge or sensor somewhere.  I think I'd look in a gauge
>first, though.
>
>Still, if the regulator is working properly, it seems it would still
>limit the voltage, in spite of a short. . .Pitch in here, someone!
>
>> Pushkar Ogale
>> (Who is still figuring out what the hell is going on with my charging system)
>
>Carlee

It would be pretty difficult for a short anywhere but inside the alternator
to cause these symptoms. Any kind of short heavy enough to affect system
voltage should dim out the lights. It could cause something like the dimmer
lights on the dsh to brighten, conceivably.

Remember, the alternator is a temerature sensitive beast, too - especially
if there's bad connections inside...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)