Re: alternator removal

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 clfitz@ns1.cwv.net wrote:
> and the bracket is the most humongous thing I've ever seen.  It looks
> like I have to take the air conditioner off just to get access to the
> regulator; there's a huge strap that braces the compressor, and it
> comes right across the voltage regulator.

You don't have to remove the compressor, but you may need to remove
the alternator itself.  The bolt is a 6mm Allen-head which rests about
half the width of the alternator behind that huge strap.  Use an 8mm Allen
to hold the "nut" on the other side, beneath the compressor pulley.

> Plus, all my books show the bolt that holds the alternator at the
> back having the bolt head facing out, toward the belts.  Mine is
> facing in, toward the oil filter.  That's why I have to remove the ac
> and bracket.

The alternator is mounted to the bracket, so removing the compressor will
accomplish nothing.  Also, removing the bracket will involve removing two
water pump bolts which feed through the bracket.  So unless you are going
to mess with the water pump, avoid this if possible.

> There doesn't seem to be any way to reach in behind the brace that I
> mentioned above to reach the voltage regulator, but then again I'm
> working on the ground in four inches of snow, so I may have missed
> something. . .

Hopefully, the above info will help.  I once had to replace this bracket
during an engine swap (you have to remove it anyway).  It was cracked
around that bolt through the timing cover that you mentioned.  This was
probably due to the compressor belt being too tight (not by me :) ).