alternator removal

Hey, you guys, it's me again!

I have a voltage regulator coming in the morning for my '81, but now
I can't get the blasted alternator off!  The car is air-conditioned,
and the bracket is the most humongous thing I've ever seen.  It looks
like I have to take the air conditioner off just to get access to the
regulator; there's a huge strap that braces the compressor, and it
comes right across the voltage regulator.

Plus, all my books show the bolt that holds the alternator at the
back having the bolt head facing out, toward the belts.  Mine is
facing in, toward the oil filter.  That's why I have to remove the ac
and bracket.

Is there any other way to do this?  The ac bracket seems to be held
in place by a stud that comes through the timing belt cover, among
other fasteners.

There doesn't seem to be any way to reach in behind the brace that I
mentioned above to reach the voltage regulator, but then again I'm
working on the ground in four inches of snow, so I may have missed
something. . .

Thanks, again, in advance!

Carlee