Stretching throttle cable?

The strangest thing is happening in my 82.  The throttle cable seems to
be stretching.  I have adjusted it twice in 2 weeks (3000 miles) now...
each time I took about an inch of play out of the cable.  (Via the double
nut arrangement on the top of the motor.)  Additionally the throttle
sticks like crazy...  The current driving experience is something like
gas, clutch, lift gas pedal with toe to match revs for next gear, clutch, gas.
Any ideas what could be causing the sticking?  I am in So. Cal. and have
kept the car pretty clean for the 25k I have had it (142k)... I only
have about a half inch of adjustment left on the cable, so I will probably
have to replace it anyway...

BTW w. regard to rear decks on the 82, mine came in two peices,  the
vinyl was destroyed by the sun, so it is in my storage space.  The only
advantage of it is it covers the rear brake lights.  I used to get real
nervous about the flashing lights in my car....

peace,
mmason